JCHA COVID-19 Implemented Actions for Public Housing Residents and HCVP Participants
Updated August 17, 2020
· Effective Monday, March 23, 2020, all JCHA appointments with applicants, residents, vendors, and members of the public are conducted via phone or video conference, including appointments with public housing site staff. Beginning July 20, 2020, when meeting via phone or video conference is not possible, in-person meetings will be allowed via appointment only.
· Cleaning Protocol: Building maintenance staff will wipe clean all high-touch surfaces in common areas with antimicrobial disinfectant and paper towels no less than 3 times daily and as often as possible, including doorknobs and handles; door panic bars; ledges and hand rails; elevator buttons; light switches; and counters. As necessary, staff will be wearing personal protective equipment including gloves, masks, and Tyvek suits.
· All gatherings and public meetings hosted by the JCHA are either postponed or to be held virtually until further notice. Board of Commissioners meetings will be held virtually until further notice. Visit https://jerseycityha.org/ for details to join public meetings.
· As of December 2, 2020, non-emergency work orders and unit inspections are temporarily suspended. Only emergency work orders will be addressed until further notice. Prior to emergency work being done, all households will be asked a series of questions related to the risk/presence of COVID-19 in the household to ensure staff safety.
· Recertification documents may be mailed or emailed to your site management office or Housing Assistance Technician. If you are unable to email or mail your documents, you may drop them off in-person.
· Receipts will not be provided at this time. Confirmation of receipt of rent checks or recertification documents will be provided via phone or email within 2-3 business days.
· Interim Recertifications/Hardship Requests: JCHA's standard policy related to minimum rent and requests for exceptions due to hardship continue to apply. Households who have lost income related to COVID-19 (e.g., inability to work due illness or to school or job site closures) should submit a request in writing for suspension of minimum rent/interim recertification to reduce rent. Requests should be mailed, emailed, or dropped in the rent collection box at the site manager's office. Office staff will call or email you to confirm receipt and take further action. (See ACOP Section 8.4, "Minimum Rent" and HCVP Administrative Plan Chapter 7, Section I).
· Community spaces, including computer labs, are closed until further notice. Refunds will be issued to all those who reserved and paid for a community space for private use. Programs and events, including community meetings, youth support groups, congregate meal programs, and social service information sessions, are suspended with the following exceptions:
· HHS senior congregate meals have been suspended. Participants will now be served via Meals on Wheels. Seniors and residents with disabilities at any of JCHA’s federal public housing developments may register to receive meals via Community Food Bank of NJ by calling the JCHA RECE department at 201-706-4695.
· As of July 20, 2020, playgrounds and basketball courts at JCHA’s public housing sites will reopen. Masks are mandatory (exceptions made for children under age 2 and individuals for whom wearing a mask impacts health/safety). Handrails and grab bars on playground equipment will be cleaned at least one time daily on weekdays.